Lost & Found Pets

Lost your beloved pet or found a furry friend that looks lost?

For a complete database of listings for all emergency, legal and law enforcement government offices in the county, please visit courtsystem.org. 


Q. My pet is missing/lost. What should I do?

A. If your pet has a microchip, alert the microchip identification company that your pet has been lost.

B. Contact local animal control, pet rescue groups and animal shelters. Check Glynn County Animal Services website list of lost and found animals: http://www.glynncountyanimals.org/RP_LostFound.asp

C. Make flyers/posters with detailed descriptions of your pet along with a photo. Be sure to include your contact information and the area where your pet was lost.

D. Post your pet flyers/posters at local businesses, with approval. Post your pet flyers/posters at local businesses in the area where your pet was lost. Consider posting within a 60 mile radius.

E. Post your pet flyers/posters on the internet. There are animal listing websites such as:


Networking websites such as Facebook are extremely helpful and have been successful. There is a Facebook page that has been created just for this purpose in our County: http://www.facebook.com/groups/103043889799639/?ref=ts.

Please avoid using Craigslist!

You can also post your pet flyers on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Humane-Society-of-South-Coastal-Georgia/257079997635668

F. Email your pet flyers/posters to friends and family so that they can help you reunite with your pet.

You can also email a flyer to post at the shelter or pictures and a description to HumaneSociety@hsscg.org

G. Contact veterinary clinics and pet-related businesses in the area.

H. Post listings in local newspapers and on the radio.

I. Contact pet rescue groups, other animal welfare organizations and animal shelters. Look for and post lost and founds on Glynn County Animal Services lost and found website:
A list of some other Georgia animal shelters can be found online:

Here is a list of other animal rescue facilities that you might consider contacting:

1. Airedale Rescue Group
(803) 547-2829

2. Animal Refuge Foundation of Wayne Co., Inc.
P. O. Box 432, Jesup, GA
(912) 586-6198

3. Bichon Rescue
Contact: Sharon Torso
(412) 759-0649

4. Boston Terrier Rescue of Fl Inc
Contact: Vicki Greene
(912) 261-7909 / (912) 227-2290
P.O. Box 8488, Delray Beach, FL 33482

5. Boxer Aid & Rescue Coalition, Inc.
Brunswick, GA 31523
(877) 633-2108

6. Bryan County Animal Shelter
2501 Dog Lane, Richmond Hill, GA 31324
(912) 727-3884

7. Cats Angels, Inc. SPCA
P.O. Box 16072, Fernandina Beach, FL 32035
(904) 321-2267

8. Coastal Pet Rescue
P.O. Box 30462, Savannah, GA 31410
(912) 228-3538

9. English Springer Rescue America
of Southeast Region
Martha A. Lang, Coordinator
103 Guale Point, Darien, GA 31305
(912) 223-5264 / (912) 437-5095

10. HART of McIntosh County
(Humane Animal Resource Team)
P.O. Box 936, Darien, GA 31305
(912) 270-0119

11. McIntosh County Animal Services
1184 Animal Shelter Dr SW, Darien, GA 31305
(912) 437-4242

12. Nassau Humane Society
671 Airport Road, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
(904) 321-1647

13. Love of Pets
300 Osborne Street, St. Marys, GA
(912) 882-4344

14. Glynn County Police Department –
Glynn County Animal Services
4765 US Highway 17 N, Brunswick, GA 31525
(912) 554-7500

15. Grateful Goldens Rescue Of the Low Country
Contact: Virginia Pearson
(912) 264-6975 / (843) 229-5537

16. Help A Stray
PO Box 501 Richmond Hill, GA
(912) 572-5073


17. Humane Society of Camden County
950 South Grove Boulevard, Kingsland, GA
(912) 729-7141

18. Liberty County Humane Shelter
279 Briarwood Circle, Hinesville, GA
(912) 876-3647

19. Safe Hollow Animal Sanctuary
P.O. Box 732, Ludowici, GA 31316
(912) 545-9743
(912) 545-9830

20. Save A Life
P.O. Box 16730, Savannah, GA, 31416
(912) 598-7729

21. Wags ‘N Whiskers
4360 Hwy 40 E Suite C, St. Marys, GA 31558
(912) 576-3480


Q. What should I do if the dog/cat is injured, sick, or possibly dead?

A. Call your local county animal services department. You can reach Glynn County Animal Services at (912) 554-7500. The Humane Society does not have resources to pick up stray or deceased animals.

Q. How do I report an injured, sick or dead dog/cat?

A. Call Glynn County Animal Services at (912) 554-7500. The Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia does not have jurisdiction to pick up stray animals.

Q. What should I do if I find wildlife in need of care?

A. Call Glynn County Animal Services at (912) 554-7500. The Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia does not have the appropriate certifications or resources to rehabilitate wildlife.

Some other helpful resources:
Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Wildlife Resources Division http://georgiawildlife.com/services
UGA Glynn County Extension Office: (912) 554-7577, http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/glynn/
National Wildlife Federation: http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife.aspx
Wolf Island National Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/wolfisland/
Wildlife Conservations Society: http://www.wcs.org/
The University of Georgia Museum of Natural History: http://naturalhistory.uga.edu/~gmnh/gawildlife/index.php?page=speciespages%2Fspecies_page&key=gvolans

Q. How do I approach a stray dog/cat?

A. The safest thing to do is to call your County Animal Services at (912) 554-7500, because you may be dealing with a fearful/aggressive dog. They are the only local animal welfare facility that will pick up stray dogs/cats.

B. Always be sure you have adult supervision and help nearby in case you need help.

C. If you intend to help the dog/cat yourself:
Never chase, walk quickly or run towards an animal.
Get the animal away from danger, such as a busy road.
If you can, wait for the dog/cat to come to you.
Have a leash (“P” leash that also forms a collar) ready.
Treats will be helpful and rewarding for the animal.
Squat down to the dog/cat’s level, make fun soothing noises trying to get the dog/cat to come to you.
Do not pet the dog/cat by approaching from above. Approach them from under their head, on their chest – this is less threatening behavior. Use long soft calming strokes when petting.
Once you have the dog/cat in a safe place:
Take the dog/cat to a local veterinarian clinic or animal welfare facility where they can scan the dog/cat for microchip identification, which will identify the dog/cat’s family if it has one.
If the dog/cat is a stray, hydrate the dog/cat and feed appropriate dog/cat food if hungry.
Provide the animal with a comforting and loving environment.
Provide necessary medical care by taking the animal to a vet clinic for a medical and behavioral evaluation. Your vet will provide you with educational materials and resources to help you provide your new pet with the best care.
Schedule an appointment with your vet to spay/neuter your new dog/cat to help prevent the current problem of pet overpopulation—pet overpopulation is a large contributor to the increasing numbers of homeless animals. Animal welfare facilities are overflowing with homeless animals because the root of the overpopulation problem involves lack of funds and education.
Have your vet administer all needed vaccinations, such as rabies and puppy shots.
Be sure to give your new dog heartworm preventative on a monthly basis so that it does not get heartworm disease.
Be sure to give your new dog/cat flea and tick medicine. A preventative medicine is always best, but consult with your vet on the appropriate medicines for your new pet.
Schedule an appointment with a certified behaviorist if needed. It is always a good idea to consult with a dog trainer. You can find a local dog trainer by searching the Association of Pet Dog Owners website: http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspx

Q. I found a dog or cat/someone’s pet.
For owner surrenders, we ask for a donation of $25. For strays, we ask for a donation to help off-set the cost of caring for the animal. We appreciate all of the support we receive!

Often, we are at full capacity and cannot accept animals. Please call to schedule an appointment to surrender (912) 264-6246 EXT#110.

Q. If I take an animal (cat/dog) to an animal welfare facility, what should I take; and what information will I need to provide?

A. Please provide as much of the following as possible:
Contact information including phone numbers, e-mail address, and a physical address
Detailed pet descriptions to help us find them the appropriate home/the perfect match
Any medical records, breeder papers
Any toys, food, treats, beds, etc.
$25 surrender fee for owner surrender/donations would be much appreciated
Read on under “Lost” for more suggestions on how you can help strays be reunited with their families.

Share the Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia